An interesting plan from the Open Source world (created by an anonymous trio from Denmark) inspired by Gnutella, the Open Source solution to Napster.

The idea is to plug the high-level security holes inherent in the design - namely that data is sent unencrypted and that the identity (or, at least, the IP address) of sending / receiving party can be identified.

Guerilla Network Trading uses strong encryption (2048 bit RSA and 128 bit blowfish) as well as sending the data through the peers to prevent people from learning the identity of the reciever and senders of the information. This makes it less useful as a general transfer protocol as there is a vast multiplication of traffic, and restricts realistic networks to only 100 users.

Each computer knows (ie: has the IP addresses of) between 3 to 5 others - these are supposedly trusted friends. The search is distributed, so the search will be passed on to each of the other computers in the network. They will then return the results back to the trusted friend of a trusted friend and back to the user. Data is transmitted in a similar fashion.

Culled from http://www.gnutella.co.uk/guerilla/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.