Gatsometers are hateful devices used to catch speeding/light-jumping motorists.
The Dutch company Gatso (www.gatso.com) manufactures a variety of speed limit and red light enforcement camera collectively known as "Gatsometers".
Speed limit enforcement cameras
- Gatso Radar 24/Camera system
- Uses radar to detect speed of vehicles
- Gatso RLC-36-Speed Wet film camera
- Uses a loop embedded in the road to detect speed, used on bends where the radar system cannot operate
- Gatso DiGi-36-Speed Digital film camera
- As the RLC-36-Speed but with digital imaging system instead of wetfilm.
Traffic-light enforcement cameras
- Gatso RLC-36
- Gatso DiGi RLC
Get caught by one of these and a few weeks later you'll receive a ticket or a subpoena (depending on how fast you were going) and a nice photo of your car with its speed indicated.
The Dutch (remember, they invented and produce them) have a special hatred of Gatsometers, as can be seen on this site (http://www.tuftufclub.com/fotos/slooppaal/slooppaal.html), cataloguing the destruction of many of these malodourous devices.
They can currently be found all over Europe, especially in the Netherlands and the UK.