Welcome to the shareware version of Jennifer Warren's Vegetarian Comfort Food. All recipes have been disabled except one. To access the other recipes, see your nearest book dealer.

I've added some personal comments on curry at the bottom.


This soup is uncomplicated, but the earthy squash and curry seasonings make for a rich, elegant flavor. Beautiful with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt floating on top.

serves 6

1 Tbsp.  butter                        15 mL
2        large onions, finely chopped  2
4        cloves garlic, minced         4
1        medium carrot, peeled and     1
         finely chopped
2 tsp.   curry powder*                 10 mL
1 tsp.   cumin*                        5 mL
1        large butternut squash,       1
         peeled, seeded and chopped
         (about 6 cups/1.5 mL)
1        bay leaf                      1
1 tsp.   salt                          5 mL
6 cups   vegetable stock               1.5 L
         sour cream or yogurt for garnish

Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions, garlic, and carrot, and sauté for 5 minutes, adding a little stock if the onions start to brown.

Stir in the curry powder* and cumin*, and sauté, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes. Add the squash, bay leaf, salt, and 1 cup (250 mL) of stock. Simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for about 15 minutes, or until the squash is completely soft.

Add the remaining stock and simmer gently, partially covered, for 25 minutes. Remove the bay leaf and transfer the soup to a food processor or blender-you will need to do this in several batches as to not make a mess. Purée until completely smooth.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream or yogurt in the center of each portion.


This is one of my favorite recipes from the book. It has a great warm, orangy colour, and the consistency of baby food, which makes it very comforting indeed, even if you never ate baby food.

*A few comments about curry and cumin. Don't use curry powder. If you like curry at all, go and treat yourself to a proper jar of madras or some similar curry paste. Pastes have a much more intense and detailed flavour, and they will retain it, sitting in your cupboard, for much longer.
If you have, or can afford to get, a good, solid mortar and pestle, don't use cumin powder. Buy whole cumin seeds and grind up just enough right before you use them. Chances are you'll have to use less, and they will give you a much richer flavor. Plus, the swirling, crushing motion of the mortar and pestle is fun, and makes you feel like a real chef.

CST Approved

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.