Chapters IV and V of the

Constitution of the Kingdom of Thailand



CHAPTER IV
Duties of the Thai People

Section 49. Every person shall have a duty to uphold the Nation, religions, the King and the democratic regime of government with the King as the Head of State according to this Constitution.

Section 50. Every person shall have a duty to exercise his right of election in good faith.

Section 51. Every person shall have a duty to defend the country.

Section 52. Every person shall have a duty to serve in the armed forces as the law provided.

Section 53. Every person shall have a duty to comply with the law.

Section 54. Every person shall have a duty to pay taxes and duties as the law provided.

Section 55. Every person shall have a duty to render assistance to the official service as the law provided.

Section 56. Every person shall have a duty to receive education and training as the law provided.

Section 57.

  1. Evert person has the duty to protect and maintain national arts and cultures.
  2. Every person shall have a duty to conserve natural resources and environment as the law provides.


CHAPTER V
Directive Principles of State Policies

Section 58. The provisions in this Chapter are to be directive principles for legislating and determining State policies in the administration of the country, and shall not create the right to take legal action against the State.

Section 59. The State shall protect and maintain the institution of kingship, the independence and integrity of its territories.

Section 60. The State shall arrange for the maintenance of the armed forces for safeguarding its independence, security of the State and national interest. The armed forces shall be employed in a battle or a war, for the protection of the institution of kingship and the democratic regime of government with the King as the Head of State, for suppressing or protecting a rebellion and a riot, for maintaining the security of the State and for national development.

Section 61. The State shall control and supervise the compliance with the law and order and shall maintain public order so that the people may be assured of the safety in their lives, persons and property as well as in their peaceful existence.

Section 62. The State should promote friendly relations with other countries and adopt the principle of reciprocity.

Section 63. The State should organize the systems of official service andother State affairs for the achievement of efficiency, eliminate unnecessary process as well as clearly impose extent of discretion of a State official, and should take all means to prevent and suppress discrimination and corruption.

Section 64. The State should organize the system of judicial process to ensure justice to the people and to meet the requirement of expediency.

Section 65. The State should promote and support education and professional training accordingto the suitability and to the demand of the country, and should promote the private sector to engage in the organization of education system in any level as the law provided. The organization of the educational system is an exclusive duty of the State. All educational establishments shall be under supervision of the State. Compulsory education in the educational establishments of the State is to be provided without charge. As for higher education, the State should allow educational establishments to manage their own affairs within the limits as provided by law. The State should provide the indigent and inferior persons with grants and requisites in their education and occupational training.

Section 66. The State should encourage research in arts and sciences and should promote and expedite science and technology development to be applied in the development of the country.

Section 67. The State should keep, promote and develop the equality of men and women. Section 68. The State should support and promote citizens' development, especially children and youth, so that they may be physically, mentally, intellectually, morally and ethically sound.

Section 69. The State should promote public understanding and public belief in the democratic regime of government with the King as its Head. The state should promote public understanding on local administration include supporting the local to have self autonomy as the law provided.

Section 70. The state should provide a political development plan which is in accordance with the Directive Principles of State Policies and the democratic regime of government with the King as the Head of State.

Section 71. The State must proceed and support the election of members of the House of Representatives and member of the local councils including the selection of members of the Senate to be honest and fair in accordance with the purposes of democratic regime of government with the King as the Head of State.

Section 72. The State should promote the decentralization of [money] to the local [governments, and] enable [them] to have the ability to collect and administrate the income for the benefit of providing good services to the people.

Section 73. The State should proceed throughly, seriously, continuously and fairly concerning with the provision of infrastructure to the rurals.

Section 74. The State should throughly distribute income to the rurals.

Section 75. The State should preserve certain important occupations for every Thai citizen.

Section 76. The State should conserve and promote national art and culture.

Section 77. The State should promote sport, tourism and recreation.

Section 78. The State should conserve the environment, a balance of natural resources and its substation and should prevent and eliminate pollution and should plan suitable use of soil and water.

Section 79. The State should proceed to raise the quality and standard of living of people.

Section 80. The State should promote, support and protect [a] co-operative system.

Section 81. The State should provide the system of ownership and possession of land for the benefit of living, promotion of agriculture, industry or commercial or other activities and should determine the obligations of land owners to utilize the land in accordance with the condition of the land.

Section 82. The State should, by means of land reform, land consolidation or by other means, efficiently secure land ownership of rights in land to all farmers for engaging in agriculture. The State should provide and supervise use of water of the farmers to be adequate and suitable for agriculture.

Section 83. The State should promote, protect and preserve the interests of the farmers in the production, the storage and the disposition of their produce in order to receive fair benefit and should promote the assembling of farmers in the form of co-operative or other forms for the purpose of maintaining such benefit.

Section 84. The State should [maintain an] economic role in the private sector.

Section 85. The State should not engage in an enterprise in the nature of business or competition with the private sector except it is necessary for the purpose of maintaining thesecurity of the State, preserving public interest or providing public utilities.

Section 86. The State should impose measures to prevent direct or indirect economic monopoly by individuals, which is not created by virtue of law.

Section 87. The State should have a demographic policy appropriate for natural resources, economic and social conditions, and technological progress for the benefit of economic and social development and for the security of state.

Section 88. The State should give aids to persons suffering from performing duties for the Nation, or rendering assistance to the official service or performing a moral duty, or from public calamities.

Section 89.

  1. The State should arrange social work for the welfare of the people, and should promote and encourage the private sector to participate therein.
  2. The State should give aid and assistant concerning health, inspiration and hope to elderly persons and handicapped persons so that they can live in an appropriate livelihood.
  3. The State should support the people of working age to obtain employment and should ensure the fair protection of labor, especially children and women labor and provide for the system of labor relations including the settlement of fair wages.
  4. The State should promote public health throughout the people and provide the indigent persons with free medical treatment, and should promote the private sector to engage therein as it could be. The State shall instantly prevent and suppress harmful contagious diseases in the interest of the public without charge.


Public document, published by the Government of Thailand at: http://www.parliament.go.th/files/library/b05-b.htm
Accessed 4 Jun 2004. Grammatical editing by ameriwire.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.