Jehnna: I suppose nothing hurts you.
Conan: Only pain.

Background:

In 1984, the long awaited sequel to Conan the Barbarian hit the theatres. Directed by Richard Fleischer, once again produced by Dino de Laurentiis, this movie fails to live up to the original, which is caused by the light-spirited, but rather dull script written by Marvel Comics writers Roy Thomas and Gerry Conway. Compared with The Barbarian, the villains are silly and uninteresting, but as they are up against good old Thulsa Doom, that is also forgiveable. What is unforgivable, though, is the bland and uninteresting story, and the disappointing showdown. Pathetic.

Arnold Schwarzenegger reprises his role as Conan the Cimmerian and is joined by an interesting cast of characters including Grace Jones as Zula, Wilt Chamberlain as Bombaata, Sarah Douglas as Queen Taramis, Tracey Walter as Malak, Mako as The Wizard, and Olivia D'Abo as Princess Jehnna. The film has a couple of entertaining moments, but sompared to the first, .....

Story:

The Wizard: Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis, and the rise of the sons of Aryas, there was an age undreamed of. And onto this, Conan, destined to wear the jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow. It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga. Let me tell you of the days of high adventure!

Conan is recruited by the Queen Taramis to accompany Princess Jehnna on her quest to retrieve a crystal from the mighty illusionist Toth Amon (whose motives and role remain a mystery). Conan accepts, because Taramis promises to bring Valeria, his dead love, back in life with her magical powers. So together with Zula the fighter, a wizard, Malak the Thief and the princess, Conan sets out to the island of Toth Amon. Before they cross over, Jehnna is captured by the wizard, so Conan and his friends must find and free her. But after that is done, thay find the crystal, and manage to flee from the self-destructing island.

The crystal is needed to get to a horn that Queen Taramis needs. But all is not as it seems as Taramis plans to use the horn and sacrifice Jehnna to free Dagoth, an evil god.

Trivia:

Part of the film was filmed on the same set and at the same time as the original Dune by David Lynch, which was also produced by Dino de Laurentiis.

Part I: Conan the Barbarian, Part III: King Conan.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.