In the United States, a mill in which apple cider is made. Because of the necessity of fresh fruit, they are generally located in heavy apple producing areas, such as New England and the Pacific Northwest. However, cider mills are located throughout the U.S. wherever the climate can support the cultivation of apple trees, even southeastern Arizona's high desert climate. Since the making of fresh cider is dependent on mashing fresh apples, most mills only operate during the fall, although this depends on the area, and many stay open year-round regardless of local climate.

The actual process of making cider is not complicated, although the large scale of a mill necessitates a great deal of machinery. After first being washed, the apples are ground into a mash. A screen of some sort, varying by mill, is used to keep the pulp and seeds separate from the liquid as the mash is put under pressure to release the cider. It is then further filtered to removed smaller particles to get it as clear as possible, and possibly pasteurized, which can now be done very quickly right at the mill, for added safety.

As a native of the Detroit, Michigan metro area, which has well over of dozen cider mills, I always found going to the mill to be quite a treat. While I fondly remember the tasty cider and freshly made doughnuts, I also remember that the sweetness we all loved also brought out the bees. Those that are allergic to bees are well advised to stay inside or even in one's vehicle for the duration of the trip.


Information from www.yatescidermill.com and www.norfolk-county.com/bigapple/cider.htm

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.