A small, Italian-owned island which lies off the southern Turkish coast 130 miles east of Rhodes and 150 miles west of Cyprus. In World War Two, the island was breifly occupied by the British No. 50 Middle East Commando, which withdrew after the Royal Navy failed to prevent a counter-attack by Italian forces. When the Italians surrendered in September of 1943, the island was again occupied by British Forces . They used it as a base for raids in the Aegean. In 1947 is was ceeded to Greece.