I recently had the opportunity to attend a career expo. I will share my experiences with you, and tell you what to expect if you ever decide to go.

The career expo I graced with my presence was called the Vancouver Sun Career Expo which was held for two days at the Vancouver Exhibition Center. This expo was fortunately free. I would never pay to get in anyway. Never in my life have I ever seen so many people shmoozing. I was one of them. There were about twenty booths set up, each equipped with two to four employers.

This are some things you should know:

  • Expect to contend with hundreds of other people.
  • Know what you actually do.
  • Know what you want.
  • Bring many résumés and portfolios.
  • Be yourself. I noticed many nervous people. They end up talking too fast and budge in line.
  • Expect a job interview at the job expo.
  • Be confident.
At this specific expo, the booths and employers were casual. In most cases, they will ask what position you are interested in and give you a run down of the jobs available. Then they will ask for your résumé. In some cases they will look at your qualifications on the spot so be prepared to answer questions.

With that in mind, good luck.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.