The descendants of Acadians who refused to let England gain control of what is now Nova Scotia. About 80% of the settlers wouldn't listen. They were exiled to Louisiana; the remaining 20% were given land in St. John Valley in what is now northern Maine and southern Quebec.
Ca"jun (?), n. [A corruption of
In Louisiana, a person reputed
to be Acadian French descent.
© Webster 1913.
Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.
Need help? firstname.lastname@example.org