It is one of the 10 Beaujolais wine vintages
The word Brouilly finds its origin in the patronym of a lieutenant of the Roman army, Brulius which settled in these places. This name was given to the hill which, the top of its 485m dominates the landscape, but no village has as a name Brouilly.
Various writings attest presence of vines on the hill at very diverse times. It is certain that in IVe and Ve centuries, the low parts of the mountain of Brouilly located at the south, were planted small pieces of vines. When the Lords de Beaujeu founded the abbey of Belleville, they made him gift into 1179 of vines located "at the field of Brouilly".
According to Polyptique de St Paul in Lyon, men of the middle-class from Belleville and Lyon paid into 1285 taxes on land for vines, which they had made plant in Brouilly (Odenas and Racona).
Geographical situation Figures Characteristic of the Wines Tourist richness Restaurants & Hotels Until XVIIe century, the production of Brouilly, was consumed by experts of the area and to Lyon, where resided of many owners of vines.
The census carried out into 1697 by the priests of the parishes, at the request of the intendant of justice, organizes and finances, Lambert of Herbigny, reveals that at the end of the 17th century, the vine growing accounted for 1/5 or 1/4 of the grounds of Saint-Lager, Cercié, Charentay and Quincié, 1/15 only in Saint-Etienne-la-Varenne, and that it was unimportant in Odenas. This insignificance is explained by the fact that François De La Chaize d'Aix had acquired, in Odenas, a property of a few 520 hectares and that, born in the Loire, it did not have anything a wine grower, and it is only at the end of XVIIIe century why the field became wine (it is the greatest wine field today and knows a beautiful notoriety).
In 1769 Cercié, Charentay, Odenas, Quincié and Saint-Lager formed part of the 16 parishes beaujolaises authorized to sell wine in Paris.