Hill (?), n. [OE. hil, hul, AS. hyll; akin to OD. hille, hil, L. collis, and prob. to E. haulm, holm, and column. Cf. 2d Holm.]

1.

A natural elevation of land, or a mass of earth rising above the common level of the surrounding land; an eminence less than a mountain.

Every mountain and hill shall be made low. Is. xl. 4.

2.

The earth raised about the roots of a plant or cluster of plants. [U. S.] See Hill, v. t.

3.

A single cluster or group of plants growing close together, and having the earth heaped up about them; as, a hill of corn or potatoes.

[U. S.]

Hill ant Zool., a common ant (Formica rufa), of Europe and America, which makes mounds or ant-hills over its nests. -- Hill myna Zool., one of several species of birds of India, of the genus Gracula, and allied to the starlings. They are easily taught to speak many words. [Written also hill mynah.] See Myna. -- Hill partridge Zool., a partridge of the genus Aborophila, of which numerous species in habit Southern Asia and the East Indies. -- Hill tit Zool., one of numerous species of small Asiatic singing birds of the family Leiotrichidae. Many are beautifully colored.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hill (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Hilled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Hilling.]

To surround with earth; to heap or draw earth around or upon; as, to hill corn.

Showing them how to plant and hill it. Palfrey.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.