Benzoyl Peroxide is a substance found most commonly in skin care products, as an anti bacterial agent. Benzoyl Peroxide is a step up in anti-acne fighting power from Salicylic Acid, which is the most common agent used. 'This is the good stuff', one might say.

BP often shows up at intervals of concentration of 2%, 5%, 10%, and sometimes even 15% (usually prescription only). Much of the upper range of BP products are prescription only, due to its strong nature and side effects. Side effects can include (but are not limited to) skin irritation and dryness, and brief stinging and/or burning sensation to skin shortly after contact. Eye contact will result in moderate to severe irritation, redness, and pain. Ingestion is not recommended, as it will lead to nausea, abdominal pain, and vomiting. There are allergenic concerns for some people, so watch out for that, too.

Since its a really strong oxidizer, in its pure form BP can start fires should its temperature rise to about 80 degrees celcius, and it will explode violently at 103 degrees celcius.

The chemical formula of BP is C14H10O4 (14 Carbon, 10 Hydrogen, and 4 Oxygen).
The molecular weight is 242.23

Benzoyl Peroxide is also known by these names: Dibenzoyl peroxide; benzoic acid, benzoic peroxide; benzoperoxide.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.