My mother and I were coming home for the grocery store today, when while on the freeway we saw a car crash to the shoulder. It was unattended and it seemed as if some people were trapped inside one of the cars. This being the case, my mom instucted me to call 911 on the emergency cell phone we keep in the glove compartment.

So I dial up trusty 911, press send and it begins to ring. And ring. And ring. It rings 12 times before I get a response. And what a lovely response it was.

"Thank you for calling 911 emergency assistance. All our operators are currently busy, please remain calm and stay on the line. We appreciate your patience."

I hung up the phone, after losing all the respect I used to hold for the "life saving" community. Got a mad rapist after you? Did you lose your arm? Is your house on fire? Give us 15 minutes and we'll see what we can do. Fantastic.

Well, what can the life-saving community do?
If there aren't enough operators, and there's no more money to hire more, a message is better than nothing.

I fully agree it sucks (having to have waited through such a message, to report a minor collision a friend of mine was in), but the fault is more in the lack of money, and the people who call 911 to complain about their loud neighbors or such.

Find the number of the police station, darn it!
(And get those emergency services more money).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.