BENAIAH
(ben i' uh) HEBREW: BENAYA, BENAYAHU
"Yahweh has built"
_______________

The commander of King David's guard of Cretan and Philistine mercenaries, Benaiah was instrumental in ensuring that the royal succession passed to Solomon after David's death. Benaiah and his troops supported Solomon's party against the expected heir, Adonijah. When Solomon became king, he ordered Benaiah to kill those who had opposed him, including Adonijah and David's army commander Joab. Benaiah was rewarded for the bloody deeds by being named the supreme commander of Solomon's army.

Noted for his heroic exploits, Benaiah one day bravely entered a pit to dispatch a lion. Another time, carrying only a staff, he faced down an Egyptian soldier who was armed with a spear. Benaiah grabbed the spear away and killed his enemy with it.

{E2 Dictionary of Biblical People}

The Ben Ish Hai (Haham Yosef Hayyim) of Baghdad taught that he was a gilgul, a reincarnation, of the soul of Benayahu ben Yehoyada. This is why many of his most prominent books were named from words in the passuk (passage) Shmuel II 23:20 describing Benayahu. He even visited Benayahu's grave when he visited Israel in 1869.

The Haham Hayyim's books which were named after Benayahu are as follows:


sources: mainly wwwebsites that exist only in google's memory.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.