Axert


What is it?
Axert is a prescription medication used to treat those who suffer from migraine headaches.

How does it work?
Axert reduces the swelling of the blood vessels near the brain. It is possible that the medication also blocks the release of substances that cause pain.

Does Axert have any side effects?
Common side effects of taking Axert are nausea, tiredness, paresthesia, headache, and dry mouth.

Does Axert have any bad reactions with other medications?
Axert should not be taken with MAOIs, Propanolol, SSRIs, Verapamil, or Ketoconazole.

What is a normal dose of Axert?
Axert comes in two doses, 6.25mg and 12.5mg. One pill is taken at the first sign of a headache. It normally begins working within 30 minutes. A second dose may be taken 2 hours after the first if there is no relief.

What do Axert pills look like?
Axert pills are white with a small letter A printed in blue on them. They also have a distinct smell.

What is the active ingredient in Axert?
Axert is almotriptan malate, which is chemically designated as 1-{{{3-{2-(Dimethylamino)ethyl}-1H-indol-5-yl}methyl}sulponyl}pyrrolidine(+-)-hydroxybutanedioate(1:1). It's empirical formula is C17H25N3O2S-C4H6O5.



My Personal Experience...

I was recently prescribed Axert by my neurologist for paroxysmal hemicrania. I have found it to be effective about 50% of the time I take it. Unfortunately, it only minimally helps with my type of headaches, because of the short, sudden nature of paroxysmal hemicrania headaches. It does help with the longer aura and after-effects of the pain. I tried to make the above portion of this wu factual, but I must emphasize the horrible smell of this pill. It smells like rotten eggs. I have let others smell this stuff and they agree. If you ever have to take this stuff, don't take it with water. Take it with Coca-Cola or something else with a flavour to it to mask the taste and smell.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.