This is going to sound very harsh, but that's because it concerns an infinitely harsher belief system. Many Christians, Muslims, and practitioners of some other faiths believe that there is a God who will send the sinners among them (or allow said sinners to be sent) to a Hell. There, it is directed with particularity among many of these sects that the sinner shall burn in an everlasting fire. But this does not seem to be sufficient to prevent members of these faiths from sinning. Why is that, why would eternal horrible burning fail to dissuade the conduct that leads to it? Maybe because the suffering seems so far off or hypothetical.

I suggest to the members of such faiths, if you truly believe that the punishment for sin is burning then the one way to keep yourself on track is to remind yourself how it will feel to burn. This is very simple to do: First, just take a metal spoon and hold it over a fire, or rest the head of it on a glowing stove, just for a minute. Be sure to handle it with an oven mitt or a moistened towel, as it's not your fingertips you wish to burn. Second, once the spoon is heated up, take it from the stove or the flame and immediately press it to your face, so that you can sear the flesh of your cheek, forehead, maybe your chin, or an earlobe. You might ask "why the face? I don't want to disfigure my face!!" Well that first of all is vanity, putting your good looks (or imagined good looks) ahead of instilling within yourself obedience to your God. Anyway, if you don't do this, and you end up in a burning Hell because you fell of the purity wagon, your whole face and all the rest of you will be burning a lot worse than this, all day every day, so this is nothing in comparison. Third, while you are burning the flesh of your face, repeat this mantra to yourself:

I believe that this is the the punishment that a just and merciful God will impose upon me eternally if I am a sinner.

Repeat the mantra five times, even if you have to scream through it and are overwhelmed by the pain -- remember, this is just maybe a half of a square inch, not the full-body treatment your faith teaches you'll be getting if you don't do this right. As a bonus, remember that the smell of burning flesh is pleasing to the nostrils of your God. Adjust the declaration as necessary if your belief system is that Hell is not eternal, but merely lasts a few lifetimes. Perform this ritual once per day, or whenever you feel tempted to sin. Put a salve and a bandage on the burn -- it's going to hurt, probably for weeks.

Now you may be saying, "wait a minute, it's crazy to burn yourself" -- but if that's what you believe your God may do to sinners like you, even as it omnisciently feels all of our pain, aren't you saying your God is crazy? Better wipe that thought away real fast!! And you may think very quickly into the process that you don't deserve this sort of pain even as others do, but isn't that just another sinful vanity? And if you are concerned about the money you might spend in recovery, there is yet another thing you are putting ahead of on opportunity to prove your faith in your God. Many Christians particularly, have told me that all are miserable sinners in the eyes of their God, right? And that all are in fact deserving of exactly this punishment. So, if you believe that then yes, by definition you really do deserve this. Go, do it.

I will henceforth give no credence to anyone who claims that we are all sinners, all deserving of punishment, all deserving to burn, who is not willing to prove the sincerity of that faith by imposing this deserved burning on his own face.

----

What -- me? No, I won't be doing anything like this, because I don't believe in such a thing as Hell....

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.