The next day, in the early morning, when Meg woke beside Deirdre, she had little time to lie abed, for Deirdre was eager to rise and shine. Meg was tempted to keep her eyes closed in sheer defiance. But that would have been rude.

And besides which, when Deirdre gave her a peck on the cheek, she vaguely recalled a moment when the woman had picked up the entire mattress and dumped her out of it. So there was no point in wasting time.

Yet after rising, there was a point in taking just a little time to look her girlfriend in the eye, to caress her cheek, to remember – yes, there was the memory of doing such a thing, long ago. And recently. Many times.

Deirdre raised an eyebrow.

But Meg turned away, unwilling to go as far as she could imagine. Some things were too forward, right now. Oh, sure, she fell asleep in Deirdre's arms every night, but some things were still too much to venture.

Deirdre tapped her on the shoulder.

When Meg whirled around, she was greeted by a kiss on the cheek, and a kiss on the nose, and a kiss on the forehead, and each of these brought forth a memory of similar kisses, long ago. She grinned. "Someday I will ask for a kiss on the lips. But...not today."

Deirdre pouted. "Do you want to have any fun at all?"

"I want to get going with whatever is making you rise too eagerly," signed Meg. "And we can get it over with."

"To the forest," signed Deirdre. She looked around, evidently not finding what she desired. "Fia's out and about already, then?"

Fia stuck her head in the doorway. "Waiting for you slowpokes," she said aloud. "Come on, it's late autumn and we're wasting daylight."

"She appears to be learning patience," signed Meg.

But when she stepped out the door of the roundhouse, Fia was already out the village gate and speeding away. "It occurs to me," signed Meg, "that we never asked that girl how she learned to run so fast."

"I didn't ask you either," signed Deirdre. "Maybe it has something to do with great desire. As for me, I know precisely what I want, I do not want to waste any more time this morning, and I will -- race you!" Then she was off like a shot, with Meg close on her heels.

So they came to the riverbank in the forest, amidst the tall bending ferns and the great hanging lichens and the twisting limbs of oaks, where Fia was hopping up and down impatiently upon a wide carpet of thick moss. "You figured out how to teach us," signed Fia. "Teach."

Meg gave her a pointed look. "What is the magic word?" she signed.

Fia sighed. "Please?"

"There you go."

"I hardly need prompting," signed Deirdre. She grabbed a stick and drew some lines in the mud. "Perfect," she signed, "it isn't too icy yet. We still have time. Alright, Meg, let’s pick up where we left off. Would you please make the ee sound?"

Again Meg sang, "Eeeeeeeee."

Deirdre drew some more lines in the mud. A vertical line with three horizontal lines extending off one side. "This is that sound. This letter is – " she raised her left hand with the fingers curled in and thumb curled under.

"Let's call it ee," said Fia aloud.

"Our daughter is quick on the draw," signed Deirdre. "Now, pick another word sound."

And so it went, through all the sounds of the language that Meg knew. As Meg would help Deirdre link a sound to a letter, Deirdre would in turn link it to a specific handsign. She called this "finger spelling".

And then when that was done, it was time to string these things – these letters – into words. So Deirdre would draw letters in the mud, one next to the other, and Meg and Fia would, very slowly, pronounce each letter one by one. Then they would recite the string a little bit faster, and a little faster, until eventually it sounded less like a string of letters, and more like a word. Or at least it sounded close enough that someone might not notice the difference, if they were hard of hearing and slightly befuddled by old age.

Some of these words, Meg could pronounce easily, because they had few letters. Others of them took long enough that the sun had visibly shifted in the sky by the time she was done, and the shadows had lengthened.

Fia, meanwhile, managed everything much more quickly.

"I've got no dignity to get in the way," said Fia.

"How wonderful for you," signed Meg.

"Good work for today," signed Deirdre. "As for how make this method of transcription portable, I'm still trying to figure out how I would make paper without some kind of simple machine. And supplies of rags."

"Maybe skip the paper," signed Fia. "Maybe just scratch with a knife on some bark. Or -- hang on." She picked up a large flat piece of slate from the mud, and a pebble. She scratched at the slate, leaving faint marks, just visible enough that Meg could see they were letters. "There you go," said Fia, "portable and easy to find anywhere."

"Aren't you a clever little child," signed Deidre, and then she picked up Fia and kissed her on the cheek.

And then she set her down, and Fia was racing toward the village, slate and pebble in hand.

"Are we sure we should be telling anyone else about this just yet?" signed Meg.

"Better sooner than later," signed Deirdre. "If the gods hear about this, we need to make sure the concept is spread far enough that they can't get rid of it."

"If," signed Meg. "When you sign 'if' it seems like you really mean 'when'. Are you saying goodbye to Fia already? Are you saying goodbye to me? I'm not following you to the underworld early."

"Good!" signed Deirdre. "That is exactly as I requested! Thank you!"

"Just answer the question."

Deirdre sighed. "I know I'm taking a huge risk. I know I'm walking a fine line. I know you're walking it with me. I don't expect the gods to learn precisely what we're doing, but…we have to be emotionally prepared for the worst. So I don't mean to say goodbye. I'm just getting ready in case I have to."

"And all for…what? The sake of knowledge?"

"The sake of freedom," signed Deirdre.

To this, Meg had no reply. Nor did Deirdre say anything, as they marched back to the village.

Yet as they reached their roundhouse, Meg signed, "You would do so much for your people, even if the price is your life. Just like what I did for you, didn't I?"

"We are alike in spirit," signed Deirdre. "Perhaps that is why we deserted our respective armies, when we met. Each of us understood very well what the other desired."

"And what about now?" signed Meg. "Do you understand what I want now?"

"To keep me alive as long as possible," signed Deirdre. "Do you understand what I desire now?"

"You wish that your people would be politically unbound," signed Meg. "And in this, am I secondary to your grand schemes?"

"You are my partner in all things," signed Deirdre.

"So you assume."

Deirdre shrugged. "I will admit, it's easy to assume. I remember when that was precisely what you were, no question about it. For you, though…you are re-building something. You are trying to re-build. It's like I'm atop a high hill and you're struggling up the slope."

"I did ask to start over," signed Meg. "If you don't want to come down to my level, throw me a damn rope."

"I think the metaphor is getting away from us," signed Deirdre. "Look. It's not specifically political freedom I'm aiming for here. It's the freedom that comes from knowledge, with political freedom as a natural outgrowth. I learned so much in the underworld. I'm not allowed to tell anyone even a small fraction of it. If I could tell, then maybe we could all know enough for our hearts to be free. Maybe we could build things that take us where we would go. But…I can't. The materials and required skillsets aren’t there for the vast majority of what I was shown, much less the assembly instructions. So I do this the long way, the slow way. I will teach everyone to read and to write, and the rest will come in time, sooner than…than…never mind."

"What do you mean, never mind?"

There was a rustle and the snapping of twigs from the underbrush, startling Meg. Tally stepped out of a set of tall ferns. "If she were to explain that part she'd be giving the game away so loudly that the Lord of the Underworld would have her in his fist before you could blink."

"I'm surprised you're not getting more angry at me," signed Deirdre.

"You have some kind of caution," signed Tally. "I'm not going to help you learn to make paper either." He winked a few times and then entered the roundhouse.

Deirdre met Meg’s eyes. "I have one question for you."

Meg raised her eyebrows, as if to invite Deirdre to continue.

"What exactly do you want, for your world?"

The wind picked up.

"Freedom," signed Meg. "And great adventure. As we had, once upon a time."

"You're ready for another one then?"

"When Fia is grown?" signed Meg. "When I can be more certain my people are safe? Yes."

Deirdre looked apprehensive. "What if…what if the adventure I am getting us into makes your people more free but less stable?"

"Then I would say it will be quite the challenge to sort that all out," signed Meg.

"And we will be side by side?"

"Until the end of our days," signed Meg.

Then they followed Tally into the roundhouse.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.