Geodesic spheres can be described by their "frequency". A geodesic sphere's basic building block is the triangle, and a sphere's frequency is the extent to which its triangles are subdivided into smaller triangles.

A one-frequency geodesic sphere is essentially a regular icosahedron, consisting of 20 faces which are equilateral triangles, with 5 triangles meeting at each of 12 vertices. This figure is fairly pointy and thus not very spherelike.

In a two-frequency geodesic sphere, each edge of each of the 20 triangles is split into two, which serve as the edges of two sub-traingles, so the whole triangle is divided into four. In a three-frequency sphere, each edge of the basic triangle is divided into three, so the whole triangle consists of nine sub-triangles.

 
      /\           /\           /\
     /  \         /  \         /__\
    /    \       /____\       /\  /\
   /      \     /\    /\     /__\/__\
  /        \   /  \  /  \   /\  /\  /\
 /__________\ /____\/____\ /__\/__\/__\

     one          two          three                 ... or more
If the subdivided triangles of a higher-frequency geodesic sphere laid flat, those spheres would be no different from the icosahedron. However, they are convexly curved, so that each vertex where sub-triangles meet is the same distance from the center of the sphere. Because of this, the higher the frequency of a geodesic sphere, the smoother it looks and the closer it approaches the shape of an actual sphere.

Even on a very high-frequency, very rounded geodesic sphere, there are still only 12 vertices where 5 triangles come together. All the other vertices have 6 triangles meeting. If you see a high-frequency dome, such as the Spaceship Earth pavillion at Epcot, try to see the basic icosahedral shape of the dome by picking out the vertices where only 5 triangles meet.

Interested in building a geodesic sphere or dome? www.desertdomes.com has a nifty Dome Calculator which will give you numbers and precise lengths for all the struts.