Users of The INDEX System BBS in Atlanta, GA would frequently gather at local shopping malls, strip malls, and video-game parlors (not to mention the local Q-Zar). One of their claims to fame was having been thrown out of every major shopping mall in the Atlanta metro area.

A favorite stunt was to distribute handfuls of Runts candy to various members of the party, then wander the mall. Each person would approach random shoppers and shout in an odd voice, "Hey, wouldja like a fruity runt?"

Another typical annoyance was "stalking." Each person (or group of 2-3 people) would choose a subject and follow him/her through their day of shopping, always a few clothing racks away. This would continue until the mark became aware of the stalking, then a new target would be acquired. The goal was to have the longest time-until-noticing.

Most fun of all is the Gap Game, where the contestants take turns entering a Gap store, touching the rear wall of the store, and leaving the store -- all without being accosted by a salesperson. This becomes remarkably hard since geeks tend to stand out as "not belonging" in a Gap, and the salespeople gravitate towards geeks, assuming (correctly) that they are causing trouble.