They'll wonder why I did it.

They don't believe that the world is coming to an end, all of them. Well, they do believe, but not really. Mom told me about it. "It will come like a thief in the night, with people taking and giving and giving in marriage, the way they always do. They won't listen."

But I always did. I could read early on, and I would see the newspapers, always, by the checkout counter, always telling me about Nostradamus and Jesus and global warming. I knew that it was going to be this year, this month. Mom told me we were prepared. But I wasn't sure.

I was never strong, or brave. Other kids hated me, because I was so weak. I tried becoming strong, but it was no use. I knew if I was to become strong, I could save Mom. So I used to watch all the action movies, and played video games, trying to make myself brave enough. Mom laughed at me. I didn't like to hear her laugh. "You're just my little boy, watching movies all day and playing. A strong young man would be outdoors."

It's dangerous out there. We live in a place outside of town, where there are coyotes and stuff, and where bad people could be hiding. That's why we have guns, and a panic room. Someone could take me hostage and take Mom's money. Someone could rape Mom.

When the hurricane came, we were the only ones with power. I sat all night listening to the radio, hearing how it was gay marriage and greenhouse gases that brought this down on us. Then I watched "The Road" again, my favorite movie. We would never eat people though. But I was worried I was going to be weak.

When Mom found out about the burns on my arm, she said she'd put me away. She always says that, when I try to be strong. But she forgot about it the next day, and took me out to the shooting range so we could fire the Bushmaster. You see the web site? Bushmaster rifles give you back your man card. But we had to go past the school.

I feel sorry for all the kids. Their parents don't care for them the way Mom did. They don't have a basement full of supplies, or a panic room, you see, or any guns. They'll grow up in Hell, like the people in "The Road". That's when I decided to save them.

So that's why I did what I did. I saved Mom first, and then the kids, and then me. I figured a week before would be good. I feel strong and brave, and maybe I'm going to Heaven.

But they'll wonder why I did it. For a few days, anyway.