To those that say "BeOS is not as good as linux", I don't see the logic in comparing apples to oranges. Linux was never meant to be a desktop operating system, and indeed it's struggling to fill that gap. BeOS is good at what it's designed to be, which is a GUI-based desktop OS. Its graphics are impressive, and it can handle up to eight processors simultaneously. In fact, http://www.benews.com/story/1875 WOULD HAVE led you to some screen shots of said 8-way PIII 550MHz running 25 AVIs simultaneously, but the article is old, and the images have been removed. Nevertheless, you still ought to read the article. Be is impressive, and it is only getting better. The largest problem I have with it is that they are currently 'faking' a multiuser filesystem. I mean come on, why are full -rwxrwxrwx even necessary in an OS that doesn't (yet) support multiple users? I play with the perms sometimes when I get bored, chmod'ing them all to 700 or even 000. I find BeOS' baron user to be a nice change from always having to see root in some "other" OS'es.

For those that like BeOS, I personally like QNX more. It's microkernel based, yet fully POSIX compliant. Most things that work in a *ux distro will work in QNX. Now I remember QNX from it's demo disk days, and I never imagined it would go so far. The native QNX GUI is rather underwhelming, but it can run X just as easily. Even better, unlike BeOS, it has a true CLI instead of being totally GUI based. Of course, you can learn more about it at http://www.qnx.com