I work in the field of AI. What I do is so underwhelming that you might rethink your terms.

When I applied for the job, I was asked if I had any experience in AI. I was sure I wouldn't get that position, there were a few developers in the interview room and apart from the guy who referred me, I was sure none of them were impressed. I didn't want to exaggerate, these guys had very neutral looks on their faces and they were smart. So obviously, I said no. 

Then they asked me about my current project, which I explained that I used an open source Rule Engine called OpenRules to evaluate doctors on best practices, as designated by other doctors. We look at their insurance claims, and the codes that are on them "HCPC" and "ICD-9." The codes were complicated, and it was difficult to determine what procedures were linked to which doctor's visit. And the best practices were written by a doctor, not a programmer, so they were a little nonspecific sometimes, but they were a good start. And they changed all the time, so we didn't want to have to release a new version when they changed. So my job was to provide a language that a person who wasn't a programmer could specify things like "A doctor should schedule a follow-up visit 30 days after a person has been admitted to the hospital." Also, "A doctor should prescribe a regimen of aspirin after a heart attack."  Also some less "If A then B" things, like "The doctor should not have greater than X% of his patients on antibiotics for symptoms of a common cold."

So, this "rule engine" is EXACTLY what they meant by AI. It is a form of AI called an "Expert System." I got the job and found out later that I did fine on my interview.

Now I do about the same thing, except instead of scoring whether a doctor is doing a good job based on looking at his claim codes, I now look at the output of various network security devices and software to determine if there is an intruder into the system. I have NO idea about computer security, but that's ok, our analysts are experts but they're not programmers. So, I provide the language, they provide the brains and the AI helps find patterns that neither of us would have noticed before.

Since that point, I've used other forms including "Machine Learning." This is good for doing more forward-thinking predictions.

It's all very not impressive. It's just code, and all code is neutral. You can do awesome things with it, you can do bad things.

One more form of AI is face recognition. (in a sub-field of AI called "Computer Vision") It's pretty nifty, the guys working on it are super smart. But you can obviously see how bad things could be done with it.