This evening, as part of what has turned into a daily routine of cooking vegan dinners with the roomates, I worked out the last kinks in the apple crisp recipe. Roughly derived from watching my friend Bodhi make it, who refused to name exact portions. It took some experimenting to arrive at these, modify them to suit your fancy.

topping
3 cups oats
1 cup flour
1 cup fine ground turbinado sugar
1 1/2 cup margarine (Nucoa works well)
1/8 cup water

filling
6 medium sized apples
1 cup fine ground turbinado sugar
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 cup water

a pan roughly 6 x 6 inches wide and 4 inches deep
two large mixing bowls


First we will prepare the apples, this will give them some time to soak while the topping is being prepared. Peel the apples and cut them into slices about 1/4 - 1/2 inch thick, put them all into a large mixing bowl. Pour the sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon and water into the bowl with the apples and mix until evenly coated.

In another large mixing bowl, combine the oats, flour and sugar. Mix well. Now warm the margarine until it is soft, spread some on the bottom of the pan to prevent sticking, add the rest into the mixing bowl with the dry ingredients. Use your hands to break the margarine down until it is thoroughly mixed in, there should be no globs of margarine in there, I am watching you very carefully by the way. Add the water in, this is just to keep it a little moist while it cooks. Mix well again.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.

Place the apples over the bottom of the pan and spread the topping over them. Pat it down some, but do not compress it too much. Bake for around 30 - 45 minutes (this will vary because my oven doesn't work that well. Anthony sat on the door when it was open once and it does not shut all the way). It is time to pull it out when the top is slightly browned.