C18H25NO, dextromethorphan hydrobromide

Effects

Positive:

Negative:

  • Upset stomach, vomiting
  • Body itching
  • Diarrhea
  • Red blotchy Skin
  • Fever
  • Tachycardia (racing, pounding heart)

Usage


This is not a drug to mix with alcohol, since DXM itself will make you nauseous. If deriving from a cold medication, avoid ones which contain Tylenol or other medications. Robitussin, Delsym, Pertussin, Drixoral and Vicks formula 44 are generally safe bets, one capsule has about twenty to thirty mg. Dosing is as follows:

Threshhold: 80-90mg
Light: 100-200mg
Common: 200-400mg
Strong: 400-600mg
Heavy: 600-1500mg
Fatal: 2500+ mg

Experience


Effects at low dosage can be similar to alcohol producing carefree clumsiness with a touch of psychedelic and speedy effect. Intense and rhythmic music induces a state of euphoria and dancing becomes fun. On a higher dose imagination can become vividly experienced (not always pleasant), feelings of dissociation from the body can occur and on very high doses profound alterations in consciousness.
Each trip lasts three to four hours

Legality

In the U.S., DXM is uncontrolled, so possession, purchase and sale are fully legal. In China you need a presciption in order to purchase, and Finland requires a license to sell undiluted DXM, over the counter stuff is often laced with a laxative. If you live in Japan, DXM can be procured from your local headshop (5000-6000yen for 2 doses.)

Info borrowed from Erowid and people who will probably have forgotten it soon. Don't do any drugs until you fully understand their effects.

Procurement


I found this on a personal website, the posting was done over usenet. I have no clue how reliable this is, chemically, it should work, but I wouldn't risk frying my bain to try.

"I HAVE CONFIRMED THIS TECHNIQUE, DXM HBr DOES LIBERATE ITS BASE VERY FREELY. The technique I employed utilized generic DXM based cough syrup similar in composition to the above mentioned product. It was diluted 50% with water to allow rapid filtration and easier formation of the cation. A solution of 50% sodium hydroxide was added dropwise to the 50% cough syrup solution until the pH of the solution was around 11 to 12. The solution was stirred and allowed to stand for 1 hour to completely precipitate the DXM base. The solution was decanted to remove the bulk of the liquid, and the solid sediment as well as a portion of the mother liquid was filtered and the filtrate was washed 3 times with cold water and allowed to dry. Alas, I did not weigh the product for yield. The dry product was mixed with an aqueous solution of hydrochloric acid until all went into solution, the pH was then adjusted to neutral and the solution was evaporated to dryness. The product is assumed to be the hydrochloride salt of dextromethorphan. Other possibilities are the product is the dl-form Racemethorphan HCl, which means that about 50% of this product will be the l-Form of methorphan HCl or Levomethorphan HCl. This has given me the idea of a simple one step cleavage to yield Levorphanol from the base Levomethorphan. If the product is true dextromethorphan base, a simple cleavage to dextrorphanol should as well be possible. I have no reference on dextrorphanol, but I have extensive information on levorphanol, which is a powerful schedule 2 narcotic. One bottle of Robo should yield enough levorphanol for 30 analgesic doses based upon PDR dosage recommendations.

Research is now continuing. The plan is thusly; convert DXM HBr to the base, which will be either Racemethorphan or Dextromethorphan. Cleave this product to yield either Dextrorphan or Levorphan or the dl-form Racemorphan and convert this product to the tartrate. I have no information at all on the dl-Form or the l-Form of Methorphan (Levomethorphan). Someone please post what you have.

I also need information on the dl-Form, Racemorphan and the d-Form, Dextrorphan. The PDR provides clear information on the l-form, Levorphan (e.g. Levorphanol).

3-Methoxy-17-methylmorphinan => 3-Hydroxy-17-Methylmorphinan
A Schedule Narcotic Racemorphan HCl should by this procedure be a simple and reliable narcotic produced easily from Dextromethorphan HBr bearing products."