I found out today that my mates have been going through some serious romantic issues in recent weeks. What galls me is that I have been so wrapped up in my own problems, I hadn’t even realised that something was wrong and I hadn’t, of course, put myself in the right place at the right time to help if I could. It’s not something I’m necessarily good at, but I do, at least try to be there for my mates.

Made me more depressed. Whereas I had been depressed for my own sorry ass, I was now depressed for my friends. Which is an improvement. Isn’t it?

Also this all came out while discussing the same friend’s recent redundancy. Redundancy is never usually a good thing, but at least there are some up-curves to this one, too something-or-other to name or list here.

One of the options on the cards is that he go to London. London is calling, like the Clash album. The selfless part of me is saying “Go! Follow that wander-lust. Go where the mood takes you! I know I would...” The selfish part is whining “....but now you won’t be in Dublin when I go there, and I’ll have no-one to talk to about The Smiths and Brass Eye and stuff!”. Guess which one is the right one.

If you read this, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I screw up and I don't always see everything that I should. I'm sorry I didn't see you were having trouble and if you ever want to talk about it or hit someone or anything else I'm there for just that purpose.

Email me, cos I know you don't like telephones. Or simply meet me. I'll make time.