My mom said that it's important for us to read the news. My psychology teacher said that it's important for us to read the news. My boyfriend said that it's important for us to read the news.

Reluctantly, I pick up the front page of the San Jose Mercury News. I see the word "Anthrax", quickly shove it aside. Underneath: Business. I see pictures of airplanes, quickly shove that aside too. No Family & Religion, either. It's invaded Arts & Entertainment, too.

I settle for Real Estate. Although it's a tricky maneuver, I avoid the section about the declining economy and fix my eyes on the left side of the page. Fantasy home of the week: "Wood-and-glass custom home rustic right down to the oak trees around it". Perfect.

As if this were the first time I found acceptable reading material in my life, I develop tunnel vision. All I see is a single block of bold, about point size 11 sans-serif text. "Rustic, two-story wood-and-glass custom home surrounded by mature oak trees; beamed ceilings; five beedrooms, three baths, mirrored fitness room; 5,000 square feet; 21 years old; half-acre-plus; four-car garage; tiled west-facing deck; bay and valley views."

I move my eyes carefully to the picture. Wow. It's beautiful. My dream house. I think fleetingly about how I previously denounced the thought of having a "dream house" as shallow, materialistic. It doesn't matter. Right now, all I care about is this house. My house, my beautiful house, my beautiful lifebeautifulhousebeautifullife. My boyfriend and I can live here forever, this is our shelter, this is our beautifullifebeautifulhousebeautiful life. Because all I care about is this house.

Because I don't care about the Anthrax on page 1.

Because I don't care about the fucking economy.

Because I don't care about how... how on the first page of The Valley, Sarah Richardson, age 9, said "Maybe God will hear us doing the pledge and let all the good people who died come back."

I am cold and unfeeling. I am cold and unfeeling. I do not care. I do not care.

You may see us but we do not see you. We do not care.