Zero Coupon Bond

In Fixed Income markets, instruments such as bonds and notes make periodic payments of interest to their owners, until what is known as the maturity date.

Payments are received at predetermined intervals which are defined by the instruments type. For example, US Government securities such as Treasury bonds will pay their owners twice a year - or semiannually - while Corporate bonds will pay only once a year.

A zero coupon bond makes no payments of interest during it's lifetime. Instead, the owner of such an instrument receives a single payment at the maturity date of the instrument.

Typically a zero coupon bond is priced at a deep discount to it's redemption or par value. The difference between par and the purchase price is effectively the interest received by the ower, for acquiring the instrument.

A bill is identical to a zero coupon with the exception of the maturity or lifetime of the instrument. Zero coupon bonds typically are issued for thirty years, while bills are issued for much shorter periods - one year or less.

A zero coupon bond is also known as a strip for a curious historical reason. In modern times few bonds are physically issued - instead ownership is recorded on a register.

Before the development of adequate computer power, bonds were physically issued and retained by the owner. Each bond consisted of a series of coupons which were clipped, or removed by the owner and presented for payment.

A zero coupon bond, then, is nothing more than a bond with the coupons removed, or striped. This, as previously explained, entitles the owner to a single payment at maturity of the instrument.