A connection between two things. Of course, since it's alexboko who's posting this, bond especially means a connection between two atoms. A molecule is several (often thousands) of atoms held together by bonds. A bond can be covalent or ionic, but in practice most bonds have some characteristics of both and are to varying degrees polar. There are also weak hydrostatic bonds and Van Der Waals forces that become important when dealing with large molecules and/or molecules in solution.



In US Fixed Income markets, a bond is an instrument with a maturity of between 10 and 30 years.

Bonds, unlike discount instruments such as bills, pay interest at regular intervals. This is in addition to a pay of principal received at the maturity of the bond.

For example, one might purchase a US Government issued 30 year bond, paying a 6% coupon maturing in Jan 2030 for perhaps $900. Every six months the owner would then receive a coupon payment of $30, followed by a final payment of $1,000 (the so-called face value of the bond) at maturity.

See also bill and note.
Bond is a game played mostly by teen-age kids in the dead of the night. Here the persons that are designated "it" drive around in their cars searching for the 10-15 other kids running around on streets, back yards, ext... The object of the game is for the people on foot to reach a destination point before someone in a car sees them running down the street. What might you say happens then? People get hit, run down, trampled... A stupid game you say? Apparently not for hundreds of drunken, bored teens finding yet another excuse for a good laugh at someone else getting hurt.

Bond is played most heavily in southern California although it has been known to exist in many western states and once in Puerto Villarte Mexico- but that resulted in one of the most tragic goat fires that land has ever seen. This game is a growing success and can be compared with other great games such as FSU Extreme, Chinese Fire Drills, and Stop Light Boxing. God bless America.

A classical girl band, if that isn't an oxymoron, whose first album appeared in 2000. Bond consists of four members: the Australians Haylie Ecker on first violin and Tania Davis on viola, Gay-Yee Westerhoff on cello, and a second violinist who goes by the name of Eos, because one member of a pop group has to have the funny name.

Bond was the brainchild of the producer Mel Bush, the man behind Vanessa Mae, a solo violinist who burst on to the scene several years before Bond with a similar formula of electronically souped-up classics-lite promoted with the simple expedient of not wearing very much.

Many of the tracks on their first album, Born (2000), were also produced by Magnus Fiennes and/or the Croatian composer Tonči Huljić: Fiennes is the brother of actors Joseph and Ralph, and composed the soundtrack for Ralph's film Eugene Onegin.

Of the 13 tracks on the original version of Born (later releases also include their 2001 single Wintersun), only one is an acknowledged classical piece, Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. Tchaikovsky aficionados should steer clear of the Bond version, which adds electric violins and a rock beat to the familiar cannonades.

The hit single from Born, Victory, is a Huljic composition, and like the rest of his contributions to the album is supposed to echo Eastern European marches and folk songs. Anyone expecting a latter-day Béla Bartók will be disappointed: Huljić, who insinuated to the folks back home that the whole project was his idea, is better known in Croatia as a purveyor of disposable pop music, both with his own band Magazin and with seemingly any blonde singer who happens to come his way.

The lack of avowed classical music on Born saw it disqualified from the British classical chart after two weeks, when the Chart Information Network decided that 'The dance beats mean it is not really a classical idiom.' The album, then at number 2, entered the pop chart at number 36.

Bond's publicists milked the dispute for all it was worth, leaking the news that their record company Decca had banned them from using a nude photograph on the album cover, and Born rose by ten places the week after.

Bond are prime suspects in the controversy over the apparent dumbing down of classical music. Alongside Vanessa Mae and such groups as The Planets, whose concoctor Mike Batt is better known for The Womble Song, they make up an identity parade which non-purists might be very happy to have to judge.

Detractors complain that the group are no better than manufactured pop music, regardless of the girls' first-class degrees from, in Haylie's case, the prestigious Guildhall School of Music and Drama. Certainly, Bond are leading lights in the emerging classical crossover genre, a catch-all title for smash-hit tenors, graduates from the shows and the endlessly churned out classical chillout compilations.

Their admirers, however, hope that Bond might attract listeners who might feel intimidated by classical music and will be inspired to move on to the hard stuff. Haylie still keeps up a solo career, and gave a concert in July 2001 with the Luxembourg Philharmonic.

Bond's second album, Shine, was released in 2002 and promised to cause as much of a stir as Born. Although Huljić and Bond had parted company, the collaborators included Stuart Crichton, responsible for a bootleg fusion of Kylie Minogue's Can't Get You Out Of My Head and New Order's Blue Monday.

Shine's reworkings of Albinoni's Adagio for Strings (as Big Love Adagio) and Borodin's Polovtsian Dances still wouldn't qualify it for the classical chart. The waft of Roma violins on the unoriginally titled Gypsy Rhapsody might not be too frowned upon, but the samples of racing cars and heartbeats on Speed, and the version of Led Zeppelin's Kashmir, might well have had Shine drummed out in any case.
Bonds are the most common type of long-term debt on a company’s balance sheet. Companies issue bonds when the amount of money they need is too big to get from one lender. By issuing bonds of $100, $1000 or $10,000, a large amount of long-term indebtedness can be divided into many small investing units, thereby allowing more than one investor to participate in the loan.

Bonds have two elements, interest they pay on an annual or semiannual basis and a lump sum at the end. The contract that arises from the issueance of bonds is called a Bond Indenture.

When a company issues bonds they print a certificate. On that certificate is a rate of interest known as the stated, coupon or nominal rate which is usually expressed as a percentage of the face value of the bond. However, the bond’s price is not determined by the issuer but by the supply and demand of buyers and sellers in the marketplace.

If the bond sells for less than the face value, then it is issued at a ‘discount’, which means that the interest rate that the market demands is higher than the rate stated by the issuer. Like any discount, this means that the buyer gets the bond for a lower price, which is the difference between the present value at the market rate compared to the present value at the stated rate. When the bond sells for more than face value, the bond gets issued at a premium, which means the buyer buys the bond for more than face value.

Three major investment companies, DBRS, Moody’s Investors Service and Standard & Poor’s Corporation, issue quality rating on each new bond issue based on the company’s ability to pay back the bonds. This is not a recommendation on whether or not to buy or sell the bond since that depends on market prices or suitability for particular investors.

In order to encourage investment, a variety of bonds have been created with different features. Here are some of the bonds that exist in practice:

Secured Bonds: Backed by a pledge or some sort of collateral eg. Mortgage bonds
Debenture bonds: Unsecured, usually have a higher interest rate and are more risky eg. Junk bonds
Term bonds: Mature at a single date
Serial bonds: Mature in installments
Callable bonds: allow issuer the right to retire the bond prior to maturity.
Convertible bonds: convertible into other securities (such as shares) at a specified time after issuance
Commodity-backed bonds: redeemible in measures of a commodity such as barrels of oil or ounces of a rare metal
Zero-interest debenture bonds: sold at a discount that provied the buyer’s total interest payoff at maturity.
Registered bonds: Issued in the owner’s name and require the surrender of the certificate and the issuance of a new certificate to complete the sale.
Bearer or Coupon bond: Opposite of Registered, the sale is completed simply by delivery
Income bonds: Only pay interest if the company is profitable
Revenue bonds: Interest is paid from a specified revenue source.

Bond (&?;), n. [The same word as band. Cf. Band, Bend.]

1.

That which binds, ties, fastens, or confines, or by which anything is fastened or bound, as a cord, chain, etc.; a band; a ligament; a shackle or a manacle.

Gnawing with my teeth my bonds in sunder,
I gained my freedom.
Shak.

2. pl.

The state of being bound; imprisonment; captivity, restraint. "This man doeth nothing worthy of death or of bonds." Acts xxvi.

3.

A binding force or influence; a cause of union; a uniting tie; as, the bonds of fellowship.

A people with whom I have no tie but the common bond of mankind.
Burke.

4.

Moral or political duty or obligation.

I love your majesty
According to my bond, nor more nor less.
Shak.

5. (Law)

A writing under seal, by which a person binds himself, his heirs, executors, and administrators, to pay a certain sum on or before a future day appointed. This is a single bond. But usually a condition is added, that, if the obligor shall do a certain act, appear at a certain place, conform to certain rules, faithfully perform certain duties, or pay a certain sum of money, on or before a time specified, the obligation shall be void; otherwise it shall remain in full force. If the condition is not performed, the bond becomes forfeited, and the obligor and his heirs are liable to the payment of the whole sum. Bouvier. Wharton.

6.

An instrument (of the nature of the ordinary legal bond) made by a government or a corporation for purpose of borrowing money; as, a government, city, or railway bond.

7.

The state of goods placed in a bonded warehouse till the duties are paid; as, merchandise in bond.

8. (Arch.)

The union or tie of the several stones or bricks forming a wall. The bricks may be arranged for this purpose in several different ways, as in English or block bond (Fig. 1), where one course consists of bricks with their ends toward the face of the wall, called headers, and the next course of bricks with their lengths parallel to the face of the wall, called stretchers; Flemish bond (Fig.2), where each course consists of headers and stretchers alternately, so laid as always to break joints; Cross bond, which differs from the English by the change of the second stretcher line so that its joints come in the middle of the first, and the same position of stretchers comes back every fifth line; Combined cross and English bond, where the inner part of the wall is laid in the one method, the outer in the other.

9. (Chem.)

A unit of chemical attraction; as, oxygen has two bonds of affinity. It is often represented in graphic formulæ by a short line or dash. See Diagram of Benzene nucleus, and Valence.

Arbitration bond. See under Arbitration. --
Bond crediter (Law), a creditor whose debt is secured by a bond. Blackstone. --
Bond debt (Law), a debt contracted under the obligation of a bond. Burrows. --
Bond (or lap) of a slate, the distance between the top of one slate and the bottom or drip of the second slate above, i. e., the space which is covered with three thicknesses; also, the distance between the nail of the under slate and the lower edge of the upper slate. --
Bond timber, timber worked into a wall to tie or strengthen it longitudinally.

Syn. -- Chains; fetters; captivity; imprisonment.

 

© Webster 1913


Bond (bond), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Bonded; p. pr. & vb. n. Bonding.]

1.

To place under the conditions of a bond; to mortgage; to secure the payment of the duties on (goods or merchandise) by giving a bond.

2. (Arch.)

To dispose in building, as the materials of a wall, so as to secure solidity.

 

© Webster 1913


Bond, n. [OE. bond, bonde, peasant, serf, AS. bonda, bunda, husband, bouseholder, from Icel. bOndi husbandman, for bUandi, fr. bUa to dwell. See Boor, Husband.]

A vassal or serf; a slave. [Obs. or Archaic]

 

© Webster 1913


Bond, a.

In a state of servitude or slavery; captive.

By one Spirit are we all baptized .. whether we be Jews or Bentiles, whether we be bond or free.
1 Cor. xii. 13.

 

© Webster 1913


Bond, n.

1. (Elec.)

A heavy copper wire or rod connecting adjacent rails of an electric railway track when used as a part of the electric circuit.

2.

League; association; confederacy. [South Africa]

The Africander Bond, a league or association appealing to African, but practically to Boer, patriotism.
James Bryce.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.