Dundee was incorporated into Oregon in 1895 by a group of pioneer families. It was named for the hometown of William Reid, one of the pioneers, that is, Dundee, Scotland.

It is 19 miles away from Portland, Oregon, the largest city in Portland, and 24 miles away from Salem, the capital. While outside the Urban Growth Boundary, it is still effectively a suburb of Portland. The lone school of Dundee, Dundee Elementary School, is part of the nearby Newberg School District. Dundee Elementary School holds approximately 400 students, and received exceptional grades on its 2002 school report card.

Dundee is built around Highway 99W. The one traffic light in the town is at Highway 99 and 5th Street, of which the school is on.

Important tourist areas include Riverwood Golf Course, and especially the various wineries on the outskirts of Dundee. These include Argyle Winery, Cameron Winery, Duck Pond Cellars, Erath Vineyards, Lange Winery, Sokol Blosser Winery, Eyrie Vineyards, and Torii Mor Vineyard. There are two parks in Dundee: Dundee/Billick Park, which is next to the school, and includes tennis courts and two baseball fields, and Crabtree Park, which is very large and includes many nature trails. (Also, a Geo-Cache resides up there, if you're into that.)

Elevation: 150 ft. above sea level. Latitude: 45.28 N Longitude: 123.02 E Area: 3.511 sq. km. Area Code: 503 or 971. Zip Code: 97115.

Climate: Coldest month: January, average temperature, 32 degrees F Hottest month: August, average temperature, 80 degrees F Driest month: July Wettest month: December Average annual precipitation: 40.78 inches