The Khmer alphabet is the largest alphabet in the world (Guinness Book of World Records, 1995). It consists of 33 consonants, 23 vowels and 12 independent vowels. The 23 main consonants are separated into 2 groups: the first series (small sound) and second series (big sound). Furthermore, each consonant has two representations, regular and subscript (like upper and lower case, except in most cases the two do not resemble one another at all). Lastly, 10 of the most used consonants have a more “formal" appearance when written in titles, in advertising, on temple walls, etc. Hence, there are 101 distinct symbols.

Each of the 23 vowels has two distinct sounds, one when it is paired with a consonant from the first series and another when it is paired with a consonant from the second series. Sometimes, a vowel takes on a third sound when the pairing is followed by a certain other consonant. Confused yet? Too bad. There is more. There are 6 accents that change all rules and add even more vowel sounds. They appear over top of words and act to either shorten, lengthen or emphasize sounds. The bontop looks a lot like a straightened out apostrophe, shortens a vowel sound, at the same time altering it. The bontop pii, which looks like two straightened apostrophes, (pii=two), changes the sound of a first series consonant to a second series sound. There is another symbol to change the sound of a second series consonant to a first series, but this only applies to a limited number. The other 3 accents occur infrequently.

Khmer words are written without spaces in between. This leads to confusion because many words are compounds of two others. For example, the word for pencil is “black hand". If you start reading a story about little Phanith learning how to read and write in the countryside with his favorite pencil, and you don’t know this, you might wonder if he is a psychotic serial killer and furthermore, question why anyone wrote a story about him.

The Khmer language, unlike others in the area is not tonal. (compare: Thai has 5 tones, Laotian has 6 tones, Vietnamese sounds like it is spoken backwards AND it has 6 tones) This might lead a new learner to the language to the delusional idea that it is a simple language to acquire. The joke, of course, is on that learner, or in the case of my illustration, me.

Reading the above description of the division of the alphabet and the schizophrenic nature of its vowels, one can quickly calculate there is a vast array of vowel sounds. To the untrained (in this case English speaking) ear, many of these seem virtually indistinguishable. This can lead to problems.

The Khmer word for thief/robber is jao.
There is often occasion to use this word in Phnom Penh, the capital.

The Khmer word for grandchild is jao!.
I do not have any of these. I am only 27. .

NB. The exclamation point is my attempt to denote the slight difference in pronunciation.

Picture a young foreign woman, hours of language training under her belt, in a crowd of Khmers at a football game, waving her arms in the air, shouting:

My grandchild has taken my wallet!!

Can you hear the laughter? I still can.

You can have a look at the script at: http://omniglot.com/writing/khmer.htm