K-PAX is a novel by Gene Brewer, published in 1996 and is soon to be a movie starring Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges.

K-PAX tells the story of prot, a patient in a New York Psychiatric Institute. prot claims to be an alien from the planet K-PAX, a utopian world populated by enlightened beings capable of incredible intellectual and technological acheivements, a world at the exact opposite of the spectrum from EARTH (prot gives gives all planets capitalised names, and all people lowercase names).

prot's doctor is Gene Brewer (the author writes the novel as though it were a factual account). He is convinced that prot is a multiple personality created as a result of a severe personal trauma. As Dr Brewer interviews prot and subjects him to hypnosis, he begins to learn more about the original personality, and the tragic circumstances surrounding prot's emergence.

But at the same time, prot begins to demonstrate abilities nothing short of miraculous, and Brewer begins to wonder whether prot might actually be telling the truth...

K-PAX II: On a Beam of Light was published in 2001 and continues the relationship between prot and Brewer. K-PAX III: The Worlds of prot was published in 2002 completes the trilogy.