When I was a kid we had three moustache cups that had been handed down from my father's family. They were very pretty, made of bone china, and decorated with gold rims and hand-painted roses. Two of the cups had a moustache support inside the rim. These were fluted and edged in gold. The support covered approximately one-third of the cup, with a hole for sipping liquids.

The third cup, equally as elegant, had a different moustache support. While being inside the rim, it covered half of the interior, was flat rather than fluted, and had an upright bar across the diameter of the cup. Moreover, it had no hole along the rim for sipping, but the flat bar had several very small holes in it.

Once, while I was in grammar school, my mother allowed me to take these three cups to school for "show and tell". The teacher demonstrated the use of the cup to the class but was puzzled by cup #3. She finally decided that it was for the use of a tea drinker who had a really large moustache, so large that without the upright bar to support his moustache, said moustache would dip into the tea. She also decided that the holes in the flat bar were to let the moustache drain in the event it did get soaked.

At the end of the day, when I returned home with the cups, I told my parents what the teacher had decided about the third cup. My father, who had not been at home when my mother handed over the cups, laughed himself silly.

The third cup was actually a shaving mug. The cup itself held water for the shaving brush. (In the late 19th Century, when shaving mugs were common, homes often did not have running water.) The upright bar was so the shaver could wipe excess water off his brush; the water wiped off the brush would then return to the cup via the holes in the flat bar.