The 16K-RAM and original 48K-RAM "Speccy" models' keyboard was lovingly described as "dead flesh" due to its feel. DKTronics made replacement keyboards with proper keys, and later 48K Spectrums (the "Spectrum + 48K") were released with rounded-key keyboards (as seen on the QL, I believe).

Early 128K Spectrums were released by Sinclair Research, and featured sound chips (like the Amiga's), VDU and keypad connectors, a ramdisk, "calculator" mode, "tape tester", test card screen, and 48K-mode for the more obstinate games. They had a Spectrum Plus-style keyboard, with all the 48K-mode keywords on, and an additional heatsink down the side. The BASIC interpreter was still keyword-driven, with a couple of new additional commands (PLAY, to drive the sound chip, being one of them), but the new full-screen editor did the tokenisation for you.

However, the Sinclair Research bubble was soon to burst, and Alan Sugar (of Amstrad fame) took over production of the 128K spectrum, as it shared the same Z80 CPU as his CPC range of computers. For cheapness' sake, the "Spectrum 128+2", "Spectrum 128+3" and "Spectrum 128+2A" also shared the same keyboards with integrated tape drives (which were notoriously unreliable) and disk drives (which were the doomed 3in-wide variety). (Re-)design issues meant the pinouts on the expansion ports differed in subtly incompatible manners between models, and the new cases meant some peripherals were no longer connectable anyway.