In Roger Penrose's The Emperor's New Mind, he mentions quantum gravity. Gravity represents a kind of energy, because it can accelerate a mass (well, actually two masses). The direction of acceleration of one of the masses is toward the other mass. When the distance between the two masses shrinks, some potential energy becomes kinetic energy, and vice-versa. It seemed to me that he was suggesting that the amount of energy that gets transferred might be packaged into quanta, and an explanation of the situation, presumably much better than this one, would be the heavily sought theory of quantum gravity.

What has this got to do with Consciousness?

Well, he seemed also to be saying that perhaps consciousness is bound up with this packaging of gravitaional energy. If he explained how, it was lost on me. Or perhaps it took a while for me to get it. I have an idea now, but I don't think he suggested it. So here it is...

My idea is that when sensory information becomes available to the brain, the delicacy of neural behavior allows many possible paths to be followed simulatneously, and that a being can choose one of them, imposing its will (animals have brains too) on top of quantum mechanics. The choice made reflects one quanta of gravitational energy being translated from kinetic to potential or vice-versa.

I propose an experiment

I believe there are microprocessors on the market that use quantum mechanics to produce random numbers. Suppose that we built a device with software that used such a random number to derive an amount of time to wait before going off. And suppose we designed this system so that it should average a waiting period of one second. And suppose that another device would detect when it goes off, wait one second, and then turn it back on. When running, these two systems working together should cause the device with the random number generator to be on about half the time.

Now, we'd expect such a system to produce off-on events at the same rate all the time. But what are we to conclude if the rate tends to drift up consistently, so that after leaving such a device alone for, say an hour or a day or a year, it stays on for an average of 0.8 seconds instead of 1.0 second? I would conclude that the random number generator has deteriorated, or the device has a desire to be off, or to go off more often, and such a desire is as conscious as that device can get. What if the rate drifted down consistently? Maybe the device likes to be on.

My theory of consciousness is that it can control how the wavefunction collapses if and when a conscious being chooses, according to its desire. If we could show that a system such as the one I propose above actually does have a rate that consistently drifts in one direction, we may have some better idea of how we register pleasure in our brains.