I have read Zhuan Falun and Falun Gong, being mostly a condensed version of the former.

It has a moral code like most cults, pertaining mostly of Zhen-Shan-Ren (Truth, Compassion, Tolerance) and improving Xinxing (mind-nature). Most of the cultivation practise consists of improving Xinxing, mostly by giving up attachments, and not physical exercises. The exercises are included in Falun Gong, but not in Zhuan Falun.

The book condemns taking money for healing, and I have not seen any evidence of any commercial activity anywhere on the website: http://www.falundafa.org

Although the books do make some wacky claims, even by my standards, I do understand that such cultivation practises will have a positive effect on health.

I wonder where DMan did get his information from. All sources I have observed say that innocent FG members have been beaten just for performing the physical exercises.

I find it important to note that in a communist society, everyone is equal. This means that ideally, everyone has the same beliefs, the same religion. In a communist society where the people in power are quasi-fascist, deviants will be persecuted.

Anyways, there are five exercises: Fozhan Qianshou Fa (Buddha Showing A Thousand Hands Exercise); Falun Zhuang Fa (The Falun Standing Stance Exercise); Guantong Liang Ji Fa (Penetrating the Two Cosmic Extremes Exercises); Falun Zhou Tian Fa (Falun Heavenly Circulation Exercise); and Shen Tong Jia Chi Fa (Strengthening Divine Powers Exercise).

The exercises don't take very long to do, and one will probably take under half an hour - longer for experts, as some exercises involve holding the hands in positions for as long they can be held. I considered the thought that this was because Li Hongzhi was lazy and didn't want to create more interesting, fluid actions like those of Tai Chi Chuan.

In the books, the pupils are sometimes encouraged to chant the name of their Master Li to protect them while they practise. Hongzhi claims to have many "fashen", which are servitors composed mainly of Buddha-nature that will protect.