Nosebleeds are a common problem for a lot of people. Sometimes these nosebleeds can become very frightening for not only the person experiencing them but the people around them. But there is major alarm to get worried as nosebleeds are very rarely dangerous. They can also be very embarrassing because you have to take care of it and it is rather gross. But they really don't have to be. Here are some common causes and fixes for nosebleeds.

The cause of nosebleeds:

Your noise contains many tiny blood vessels that are very close to the surface of your skin. Because of this any blow to your noise can cause the vessels to break and start a nosebleed. Other things besides a blow that can cause a nosebleed is hardening of the arteries, high blood pressure, high atmospheric pressure, sinus infection, or even what we all know as the common cold. Also we all know that nose picking can cause nosebleeds as well. Using antihistamines for too long can often times also cause bleeding, especially when you blow your nose.

Types of nosebleeds:

Anterior Nosebleed: This is the most common type of nosebleed. This is where the bleeding starts in the lower part of the septum. The blood comes from the front of the nose and will usually travel out one nostril. Sometimes both nostrils.

Posterior Nosebleed: This type of nosebleed is rather rare. It starts in the back of the nose and the blood will usually run down the person's mouth and throat even when he/she is standing or sitting.

Taking care of nosebleeds

Step 1: Stay standing or sitting and DO NOT tilt your head back. By tilting your head back the blood may run down your mouth and/or throat.
Step 2: Blow your nose gently once to remove any clotted blood that may be keeping your blood vessels open.
Step 3: Pack your noise with cotton or gauze or something soft. Adding petroleum jelly to the soft tissue or cotton may help.
Step 4: Pinch your nose shut for 10 minutes without letting go at all. If the bleeding doesn't stop in 10 minutes try for another 10 minutes. If it still doesn't stop consult a doctor ASAP.

Stopping nosebleeds before they start:

If you get nosebleeds often here are a few things you might want to try.

  • Try to not use aspirin, or any pain reliever containing aspirin, especially during a nosebleed. It thins your blood.
  • Use a humidifier to add moisture to the air.
  • Keep your blood pressure under control. Hypertension raises your chance for nosebleeds.
  • Try to stay away from smoke, smoking can cause nasal passages to dry up.
  • Try not to abuse antihistamines. They too can cause dryness.
  • Use lubricated tissues to blow your nose and try not to blow too hard.
  • The use of a saline nasal spray can help with dryness.