Re*cess" (?), n. [L. recessus, fr. recedere, recessum. See Recede.]

1.

A withdrawing or retiring; a moving back; retreat; as, the recess of the tides.

Every degree of ignorance being so far a recess and degradation from rationality. South.

My recess hath given them confidence that I may be conquered. Eikon Basilike.

2.

The state of being withdrawn; seclusion; privacy.

In the recess of the jury they are to consider the evidence. Sir M. Hale.

Good verse recess and solitude requires. Dryden.

3.

Remission or suspension of business or procedure; intermission, as of a legislative body, court, or school.

The recess of . . . Parliament lasted six weeks. Macaulay.

4.

Part of a room formed by the receding of the wall, as an alcove, niche, etc.

A bed which stood in a deep recess. W. Irving.

5.

A place of retirement, retreat, secrecy, or seclusion.

Departure from his happy place, our sweet Recess, and only consolation left. Milton.

6.

Secret or abstruse part; as, the difficulties and recesses of science.

I. Watts.

7. Bot. & Zool.

A sinus.

 

© Webster 1913.


Re*cess", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Recessed; p. pr. & vb. n. Recessing.]

To make a recess in; as, to recess a wall.

 

© Webster 1913.


Re*cess", n. [G.]

A decree of the imperial diet of the old German empire.

Brande & C.

 

© Webster 1913.