following my policy of Only Daylog when sufficiently motivated...

I returned home last Saturday evening, after sticking around for my roommate's graduation. It was a weird feeling, standing in the back corner of the McBryde Hall auditorium and watching guys (and a few girls) I'd known through 4 years of classes, had occasionally explained confusing stuff to, etc., walking up to receive their diplomas, when my own CS degree is seven months to a year away, due to my academic misadventures.

I should have been with you guys...

I returned to my job at the corporate HQ of everyone's favorite consumer electronics chain for the summer on Monday. They've treated me well, it's a great company to work for, they seem to want me back on a full-time basis... if only they weren't in Richmond. I've lived in this place for 16 years (well, 13 if you take out 9 months a year in Blacksburg for the past four -- point still stands), and that's way too long. Unfortunately, my academic situation also screws me with respect to getting my foot in the door for full-time positions at many of the companies showing up for career fairs. Plus, at this point I don't even know if I'll be able to graduate in the fall, and won't know until the first week of the semester, when I try to force-add the class I need.

If I could go back in time 3.5 years and talk to that lazy freshman in 328 Barringer, blowing off his C++ and Intro to CS homework to watch a hockey game, I'd kick his ass...

It's not that I'd really mind sticking around an extra semester -- I love Virginia Tech, going on another Spring Tour with Wesley would be awesome, I have a good part-time job, and most of my good friends will be graduating in May 2002. It's just that VT tends to want tuition when you take classes for a semester, and I'll be back to paying it with my money (as I've done for two prior semesters) if I have to stick around.

Things are looking up, though... got a trip with the VT Meistersingers to the UK, leaving overnight on 24 May and returning 4 June. (*crosses fingers about the Britnoder meeting*) And, don't look now, but I'm running the risk of having a social life this summer as well.

So, as always, I guess we'll see.