Promoting nightclubs and raves is often hectic work, I'm finding. Often hectic, usually tiring, and almost always confusing.

It is the last factor that caused me to run around a nightclub, looking for my boss at one of the larger events we've been putting on. I knew he was in the VIP area, so my logic was that if I find a door manned by a security guard who turns away everyone who tries to enter, I've probably found the correct place.

I managed to find such a place, and over the smoke and strobes and noise, I somehow explained to the guard that I was one of the promoters, and he let me in, presumably recognizing me from earlier in the evening.

It was to my great confusion, then, that I found myself not in a comfortable open space with couches, but in a narrow hallway filled with electronics. As I moved closer, I saw that there seemed to be turntables, a mixer, and other assorted audio equipment around. In fact, there seemed to be a person wearing headphones in the middle of this confusing mess, giving me very strange looks.

It was only after I stepped fully into the corridor, looked to my right, and saw a half-thousand people start to scream and cheer that I realized I was in the DJ booth, and they all thought I was the headlining performer, ready to start my set.

...

Please, dearest reader, make up your own ending to this story, as it could not possibly be less graceful than mine.