compiled overview of the 50ton Blitzkrieg 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



After five years of relative peace, Clan forces forged deep into the Lyran Alliance in 3058, ending their bloody campaign on Coventry. The Coventry Metal Works facility was a prime target, and though the bulk of the fighting took place more than a kilometer away from the plant, the factory suffered significant collateral damage. Combined with the loss of nearly all of its defending 'Mech force, the damage meant that CMW faced a long period of rebuilding.

One of CMW's primary products had been the Hollander, a 'Mech disliked by many members of the Lyran Alliance Armed Forces. Critics cited its lack of secondary weapons, poor speed, light armor, and inherent instability as weaknesses that, though minor when considered individually, combined to make the Hollander ineffective when facing Clan forces head-on. The critics were vindicated by the weak performance of the Hollanders defending the plant against Clan Jade Falcon attackers during the Battle of Coventry.

Salvage claimed from that battle provided the spark for a new design based on the Hollander. Among the salvage pulled from wrecked Clan 'Mechs were a number of intact Clan autocannons, including an Ultra-20 class weapon in perfect condition. This rare item, combined with recent technological exchanges with the Free Worlds League, allowed scientists at Defiance Industries to develop a working Ultra-20 autocannon for full-scale production. First used on the upgraded Demolisher heavy tank, the weapon would soon see use in a radical new BattleMech, the Blitzkrieg.

The BTZ-3F Blitzkrieg addresses almost every pilot complaint about the Hollander. First and foremost, a massive 350 XL engine drives the 'Mech's 50-ton frame at speeds of more than 100 kph, allowing the 'Mech to outflank all but the fastest opponents. This speed is vital, because the Defiance Thunder Ultra-20 Autocannon – the Blitzkrieg's only weapon – has only half the effective range of the Hollander's Gauss rifle. However, with a potential damage curve more than twice that of the Gauss rifle, the autocannon can slice target 'Mechs in half in a matter of seconds, especially if the Blitzkrieg circles behind its target to hit the rear armor.

The Blitzkrieg is also tougher than its predecessor, with a stronger chassis and almost twice the armor protection. Combined with its high speed, this makes the newer 'Mech much more likely to survive contact with the enemy. Designers were also careful about the placement of the huge cannon on the 'Mech's frame. By placing counterweights and ammo feeds to the right of the weapon, designers ensured proper balance on uneven terrain.

Despite these improvements, the Blitzkrieg has only a single weapon system. and when it runs out of ammunition (which it tends to do very quickly), it must retreat behind friendly lines for resupply. Given its other design advances, however, the need to resupply is a minor weakness in an otherwise devastating fast-strike 'Mech.

Because of cost overruns and other delays, the Blitzkrieg is still not in full-scale production. A lance of the new 'Mechs has been shipped to the Twenty-fourth Arcturan Guards on Barcelona for field testing. Full-scale production is due to begin in 3061. The Free Worlds League will have the option of purchasing up to 25 percent of all Blitzkriegs manufactured on Coventry.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.