(When you are fighting...)

A calm, patient opponent who stays out of range: Do not attack directly but draw his stop-hit with long feints then retaliate with trapping or grappling.
A nervous opponent: Use a shorter feint.
A shorter opponent: Fight without touching or extending your on-guard position to restrict his strategy.
A taller opponent: Keep your distance but step forward against his attacks to unbalance them.
An awkward opponent: Stand at a distance and parry at the last second. Their attacks will probably be simple and direct, so use a stop-hit or time-hit.
A novice opponent: Keep your distance and counter when they overreach.
An experienced opponent: Start with simple movements, then if necessary use more complex ones. Use a series of feints then attack with a simple move from the on-guard position. You may want to show off your technique, but a more direct approach (when they expect a complicated one) shows confidence in your ability.

Know your opponent; use his weaknesses and habits against him. Watch his lower line in close-distance fighting to protect your head and watch his eyes in far-distance fighting. Keep him on the defensive by striking from all angles. You can regain the initiative from your opponent by constant and varied intimidations of counterattacking. Draw him forward, then attack with fluidity and celerity (note that attacking with celery is not as effective).

Op*po"nent (?), a. [L. opponens, -entis, p.pr. of opponere to set or place against, to oppose; ob (see Ob-) + ponere to place. See Position.]

Situated in front; opposite; hence, opposing; adverse; antagonistic.

Pope.

 

© Webster 1913.


Op*po"nent, n.

1.

One who opposes; an adversary; an antagonist; a foe.

Macaulay.

2.

One who opposes in a disputation, argument, or other verbal controversy; specifically, one who attacks some theirs or proposition, in distinction from the respondent, or defendant, who maintains it.

How becomingly does Philopolis exercise his office, and seasonably commit the opponent with the respondent, like a long-practiced moderator! Dr. H. More.

Syn. -- Antagonist; opposer; foe. See Adversary.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.