Diaspora is an intensely interesting and involving novel by Greg Egan that supposes a very believeable future in which humanity has evolved into three distinct "classes":

The Polis - super powerful networks of digitized and artificially created human minds that can reshape themselves at will. The Polis memebers have the ability to change their perception of time and remotely inhabit the shells of "dead" robot bodies.

The Fleshers - the bioengineered descendents of humanity. They alter their bodies with the same freedom as the members of the Polis do, but in the "physical" world using advanced genetic technologies.

The Androids - really a branch of the Polis that believed that all of the Polis were losing touch with "reality" because they no longer inhabited bodies. Thus this fragment made the choice to inhabit robot bodies in order to be closer to their flesher origins.


This book will really twist your mind. I am frankly astonished at the author's ability to actually describe what it is like to perceive 5 dimensions. I mean ;I read it, I experienced that perception of an alternate reality and immeadiatly lost that wonderously wierd feeling after I had passed the chapter. A truly gifted writer.