Time passes by.
'At least we have that behind us' we say, - 'but what is yet to come?'

According to common language, we stand with our face to the future, while the past is behind us, and that's how most people experience it. The future lies in front, the past behind of them. For dynamic personalities the present is like a ship, breaking the waves of future on the rough sea; for people who are more passive, it's more like a raft, calmly floating along the river of time. Of course there's something odd about both visions, because if time is movement, then it should move in a second time, thus creating an infinite amount of time-lines, - something that tends to displease philosophers.

There's another odd thing about one who has his future in front and his past behind of him. It'd imply, that all events in his life already exist in the future, that they'll reach the present at a certain time, to eventually get to rest in the past. But there's nothing in the future, it's empty, one can die the next moment, thus such a person would stand with his face to emptiness, while it's behind him that there's something to see, the past, as conserved in the memory. That's why, when the Greek talk about the future, they say: 'Oh, what is yet behind us?'.

When I think about time, like I sometimes do, I don't see the events come from the future and go via the current to the past, but from the past they developed themselves to the present, on their way to a future.

I can't 'kill' time, for time is an (illusionate) continuum. But with my consciousness, I can tame time and control it. I have more power over time than it has over me.