I think Everything2 has failed.

Let me explain: people can and have nuked their own w/u because the reputation is low, and by doing so they increase their node-fu. This is done to gain a level by boosting their merit (avg. rep.) for the honor roll. When they do this we all lose. (This once was a bigger problem until the honor roll was thrown out but I still think it is happening.)

I'm not talking those w/u's that the writer feels the stigma associated could be damaging to them in some way. Whatever reason it might be, I'm sure it would be best if was removed. But to have your motivations be lead by the opinions of those who voted negatively upon it is to never know it's true potential. Who knows five years later that w/u might a receive comment saluting you on your idea, or it might come in the shape of a ching; I guess the point I'm trying to get at is, give it more time. Giving the node a little love and attention doesn't hurt either.

I'm not sure if e2 has a mission statement, but I'm almost certain that nuking your own shit isn't the idea. I think the idea is to have everything here, because someone, somewhere out there is going to find that something in your w/u that they will want to go back and read it again. When it's not there it hurts. I hate to see it happen, especially if there is no reason other than reputation.

Please, stop the self-righteous nuking of your own w/u's. You know, atleast for the sake of novelty.


February 4, 2008 | April 14, 2008