I went to the funeral of a very close friend of mine. It was a suicide.

The background

The story was as follows: Nancy (19) had a heart condition meaning she had to take a particular medicine once a day. She also had bipolar disorder, although she usually kept that side of her very well hidden.

On one of her worst depressions, she decided she'd had enough. She took all her heart medicine pills at once - more than 20.

She called her boyfriend, who is also a good friend of mine. He called me, after Nancy had seemed particularily down, and she had been a bit too insistent on telling him she loved him.

I got in my car, and drove to his place. On my way there I called a doctor from my cell phone, and had him go to her house. By the time Nancys boyfriend and myself arrived, the doctor had arrived as well. He called for an ambulance helicopter, but it was too late.

Nancy was still alive when the helicopter arrived, but there is no such thing as an antidote to heart medicine, and her life faded away as we were holding her hands.

What happened in church

As for what happened in church.... What really got to me was the minister saying

"It is sad what happened, but God chose to take her back at this young age, and this is something we will just have to accept"

God my ass. Nancy chose to leave life. The fact that the church didn't even acknowledge that it was her own choice made me sick.

I miss her. And even though I think she made the wrong choice, She made her choice. Leave God out of it.