The movie stars Trey Parker and Matt Stone of South Park fame, which made people expect something different than it actually was. This 1998 movie, directed by David Zucker and co-written by him, is a comedy in a different style from South Park, but I still find it very funny.

The situation of the movie is that two guys, Joe Cooper and Doug Remer, who haven't done anything productive since graduating from high school (or, it is implied, before then either) come up with a game which combines elements of baseball and basketball. Their games with friends expand into a neighborhood league which draws large numbers of spectators, and Ted Denslow (Ernest Borgnine) comes to them with a proposal to make a professional league sport out of BASEketball and bring back some of the feelings that have gone out of other professional sports.

Jump to five years later, and BASEketball is a successful sport with Cooper, Remer, and their friend "Squeak" Scolari (Dian Bachar) as the stars of the Milwaukee Beers team. However, Beers owner Denslow is killed by choking on a hot dog during the championship with the Beers vs. the Dallas Felons (distracting Cooper enough to lose the game). Denslow's will specifies that Cooper will own the team if the Beers win next year's championship; otherwise ownership will go to Denslow's young wife Yvette (Jenny McCarthy). Felons owner Baxter Cain (Robert Vaughn) tries to capitalize on this by cozying up to Yvette and making business propositions to Cooper and Remer, while the two players are competing for the same woman, played by Yasmine Bleeth.