Today was my birthday. Yippedy-fucking-doo-da.

One year older, one year wiser, yadda yadda.....

The evening started out with a glorious repas at Pad Thai with my mum and my three sisters. I had roast duck pancakes to start, as well as a few nibbles from the seafood platter and green thai curry for my main course. Scrum-diddly-umptious I tells ya. I was too stuffed for dessert but sneaky old mum had organised a birthday cake, well, more like and upside chocolate pud with a candle in the top.

Everything went perfectly.

I kissed goodybye to mum and two of my sisters then myself and the remaining sister hit the town. We started off in Sheehans, where to my surprise, my old english teacher was playing some extremely funky guitar in a jazz quartet. I spoke to him during the break and it turns out he had a stroke two years ago and retired from teaching. He decided that life was too short and he was going to spend the rest of it doing things he wanted to do, so he started playing jazz again and he is also writing a film script. Incidentally, the guy had also had a small part in the film Educating Rita. Anyhoo, it was really good to see him again, he bought me a drink, the band played their rendition of Happy Birthday.

What a cool cat!

My friends slowly trickled into the pub from their various colleges and work places. It was a good turn out, and some people even came down from Dundalk to wish me well. I felt all nice and warm! Also in attendance was my sister's flatmate who I have a serious "thing" for.

Yay!

We stayed in Sheehans till closing and watched the end of the Jazz. I was fairly reeling at this stage due to the amount of hugs and Guinness. I was becoming more "loose tongued" shall we say.

We then moved on to the Capitol bar, where more Guinness was consumed followed by shots of Sambuca. Things were starting to become hazy, so I concluded that two large Long Island iced teas were needed to clear my head. Grand. Then my drunken slobbering turned towards my sisters flatmate where my chat up attempts were tolerated only through pity. Needless to say, I did not score. At this stage I am a mean drunk, and begin sinking some crazy shots called Flatliners, half sambuca, half tequila and a drop of of Tabasco sauce.

The rest of the night is a blur.

I remember having to picked up off the cobble stones in Temple Bar. I think I made another pass at my sister's flatmate, possibly successful, as I woke up in her bed fully clothed, two hours late for work.

All in all it was a really, really good birthday. I can now afford the flight for the monkey ride in London!