Workout log for December 27, 2009 through January 2, 2010

Tuesday, December 29, 2009: After a failed attempt at a long run on Sunday, I am back to trying to run my half-marathon schedule: Today was a 4 mile run on Fort Gordon and it went reasonably well. 2 laps isn't so bad and I feel like the shin splints I got in Charlotte are gone.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009: Five miles today at Barton Field. The only thing saving me was a unit of soldiers who walked onto the field, planted a flag, and then all gathered around to mill aimlessly. Something to look at for my last two miles and by God, I made it through.

Friday, January 1, 2010: Today I did something I've wanted to do for a very long while: I ran a 5k. The New Year's at Noon run is a cleverly worked in holiday run that caters to those of us who want to party away the old year but start out the new year with some slightly better decisions. I finished, in about 35 minutes, so I am thrilled that I got through the whole thing. One of my classmates finished third in the 25-29 age group, another was second in the 20-24 group, and his wife was third in the 25-29 group. All in all, I feel awesome about the whole experience and I have papers for about 10 more races in the next few months.

Sunday, January 3, 2010: Today was my long run, and I did it. With the help of my daring and courageous boyfriend, I made it the full 8 miles in approximately 80 minutes. He ran the last mile with me but otherwise I had him strategically walk countercurrent so I had to face him and be accountable. I have found that hankies versus shirts for mid-run nose-blowing are far superior. I actually felt really good on this run all the way up to about 6 miles, and then I started to lose it. Fortunately, at that point it was all over but the tears so I made it. I have never run this far in my life. Very big day for me.

Side Notes: I have taken to eating a little more straight salt and trying to get in some sports drinks to try to offset some of the headaches I have been getting. I have started icing my shins to try to prevent further bone splintering, and I really need to watch what I eat: Definitely gained over the holiday season. Another week, another 20 miles... maybe something will give.