Why is black worn for mourning?

When we mourn the death of a relative, we naturally wear black. However, many other cultures mourn in other colors. In Japan and China, mourners wear pure white, devoid of makeup. In some sections of Africa, the natives apply red paint to their bodies as a sign of mourning.

The reason we wear black is simply that, according to our traditions, this is the best way to express grief. When we see people dressed in black mourning clothes they look somber and sad, so it seems natural to us that black is the color of mourning clothes.

But have you ever wondered why we wear mourning clothes at all? Of course, we do it as a mark of love and/or respect for someone who has died. However, in trying to trace mourning clothes back to their roots, scholars have come up with interesting answers.

When we put on mourning clothes, they are usually the reverse of the kinds of clothes we wear everyday. Therefore, it is a kind of disguise. Some people think that our ancient ancestors put on disguises because they were afraid that the spirit which had brought death would return and find them!

This idea might seem pretty far-fetched, if there weren't people who do exactly this today. Among many primitive tribes in various parts of the world, as soon as someone dies, the widow and the other relatives put on all sorts of disguises. Sometimes they cover the body with mud and put on a costume of grass. In other tribes, the women cover their bodies entirely with opaque veils.

So perhaps our black mourning clothes go back to the idea of frightening away spirits or hiding from them. For example, mourning is a period of retirement. We withdraw from our normal activities and life to avoid the spirits.

Retire.

Relive.

Remember.


Most factual information taken from Welbers Encyclopedia, volume 19, page 116.