A German maker of fine writing instruments. Right now, it is the brand that most people associate with fountain pens, though it is also held in low esteem by pen lovers.

The company started in Hamburg in 1909, though it was not known as "Mont Blanc" at the time. Instead, it was known as the Simplo Filler Company, initially selling products manufactured in the United States. By the twenties, they were making their own pens.

Mont Blanc pens come in a variety of styles, including a series of limited editions named after a variety of authors. However, the archetype of their line is the Meisterstuck. Big and cigar like, it is what is seen in the pockets of many around the world. Mont Blancs are identified by the white, six-pointed start on top of their pens (to represent the slopes of the mountain namesake), called a "snowflake" by collectors. On the fountain pens, the number "4810" is on the nib, representing Mont Blanc's height in meters. Mont Blancs all have serial numbers, which is how one can distinguish the real pen from a fake.

Mont Blanc have become something of a status symbol. Want a good pen? Go get a Mont Blanc. Among collectors, this has made current Mont Blancs a joke (though vintage ones are held in higher regard). Part of this is due the fact that people don't consider other fine pens. Part of it is also due to poor customer support. Further, the resin used to make the barrels has a reputation for being brittle. I personally know someone whose pen broke after a drop that should have, at worst, scratched the pen.

Mont Blanc has ventured into other areas of luxury consumer goods (watches, wallets, etc.). This may also explain some of ill will Mont Blanc generates.

It is generally felt that Mont Blanc is on the bad side of a customer service cycle that occurs not only in the pen world, but in other areas as well. A company produces a good product with customer service. It becomes very popular for that reason. Unfortunately, they are not able to hold on to the service and quality that made them popular.

Sources: http://www.io.com/~tyrbiter/mb.0.html